JAKARTA, Indonesia - Two people were killed and eight people have been reported missing after Indonesia suffered from floods and landslides.
Thousands of people were forced to evacuate due to heavy flooding, and authorities said that the casualties took place after landslides took place in satellite cities around Jakarta.
Rescuers in Bogor city said that they pulled one woman alive from a car trapped by a landslide for 13 hours.
They had also recovered one body as the search for the missing people continued on Tuesday.
Local reports noted that fast-running rivers of muddy water gushed down roads, uprooting trees and even some villas in the hilly areas around Jakarta.
Anies Baswedan, the city governor said that as flood alerts were raised to the highest level and in parts of south and east Jakarta where about 6,500 people had been displaced by floods.
Baswedan said that flood waters had receded at the Manggarai floodgates in the city, adding, “We are making sure that those evacuees receive aid.”
Subsequently, authorities were forced to release water from a reservoir upstream in the city of Bogor.
Authorities have said that police and military personnel have been working with volunteers to deal with the impact of the floods.