JAKARTA, Indonesia - In a dramatic anti-Valentine’s Day campaign, Indonesian authorities raided convenience stores and seized condoms in Makassar city.
The raid was reportedly carried out on February 14 in a bid to prevent teenagers from indulging in casual sex on a day dedicated to those in love.
Mohammad Ramdhan Pomanto, Mayor of Makassar city, led public order officers in the operation and said that he was not against the sale of condoms but he wanted to ensure outlets exercise care in who they were sold to.
Speaking to the local media, Pomanto said, "Valentine's Day is often misused by teenagers to have casual sex, this can destroy the morality of the nation.”
Further, head of the local public officers, Iman Hud explained that convenience stores had been failing to check teenagers' IDs to ensure they were at least 18 years of age (the age of consent), before selling them condoms.
He said, "We are doing this to prevent promiscuity.”
He also added that hundreds of condoms were seized in the raids in the city.
This was the latest expression of anger against Valentine's Day in the world's most populous Muslim-majority country.
Islamic clerics often use the occasion to criticise what they consider ‘Western decadence’.
Supporting this raid, teenage pupils, including girls, staged a protest outside a school in the city of Surabaya, chanting - "Say no to Valentine!"
In some parts of the country, celebrating Valentine’s Day was banned altogether by authorities.
However, despite objections, many Indonesians celebrated the occasion, particularly in major cities where cards and chocolates were widely exchanged.
Islam is followed in moderation in many parts of the country.